Until I get an answer about my database, the napkin stays put. - Community Credit Forums
in

Community Credit Forums

Until I get an answer about my database, the napkin stays put.

Last post Thu, Mar 13 2008 8:16 PM by DavidSilverlight. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 12 2008 3:03 PM

• JDunagan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 16 2006
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 33

Until I get an answer about my database, the napkin stays put.

www.naplesdot.net - our current web napkin.

I'm just about ready to deploy our CServer-based website, except for one thing: do we have SQL Server 2005 on our space, or not. Once we do, it'll go.

Naples .Net Developer Group
    http://www.naplesdot.net
  • Wed, Mar 12 2008 7:33 PM In reply to

Re: Until I get an answer about my database, the napkin stays put.

Okay, for starters, I have never heard the term "Web Napkin".   What is a web napkin?  Is it anything like a "Web Diaper Wipe"?  Regarding your question, are you asking what kind of database you have on the server? Or is this a CS question?

Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

Follow me on Twitter: @HeadGeek
  • Thu, Mar 13 2008 9:06 AM In reply to

• JDunagan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 33

It was a rhetorical question.

"Web napkin" is my own term for something much less than a web page that nonetheless still appears in response to an HTTP request. And in fact, mine needs updating.

My question is: Community Server requires, it says, SQL Server 2005, and in fact, wouldn't run on my local until I provided it access to that software; i.e., it would not load with SQL Express. Therefore, before I deploy it to my Applied Innovations VPS, in order for it not to show up as dead on arrival, and break the site, I want to make sure I either 1) can hook it up to whichever SQL is on there, or 2) add my CServer db to the shared SQL Server I understand is available and run my website that way.

I've got a question into Jess already about that. I'll ask again in a little while.

John

• Thu, Mar 13 2008 9:43 AM In reply to

Hey John,

If you have a shared SQL Server, I would expect that you can install it on that Server and run it just fine.  The easiest way to test that would be to run the installation SQL Scripts and have it create your database and then modify your web.config file to point to it.  Once that is done, you can run it locally, having it point to your shared SQL Server database.  If all is good at that point, it would be just a matter of copying up your application to your Server.

Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

• Thu, Mar 13 2008 10:17 AM In reply to

John,

You can simply run Community Server with SQL Server 2000, 2005 and SQL Express 2005 both on a dedicated server and a shared hosting environment so you shouldn't worry about above stuff at all.

• Thu, Mar 13 2008 3:38 PM In reply to

• JDunagan
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Naples, FL
    • Posts 33

Thanks, David and Keyvan.

I'll give it a try. If it totally breaks, I can always pave over it with the web napkin again.

• Thu, Mar 13 2008 8:16 PM In reply to

Be sure to put more weight on Keyvan's info, he has actually written a book on CS. Big Smile

Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)