So, who is using Silverlight 2.0? - Community Credit Forums
in

Community Credit Forums

So, who is using Silverlight 2.0?

Last post Mon, Nov 3 2008 8:37 AM by svickn. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Nov 1 2008 9:23 AM

So, who is using Silverlight 2.0?

I was wondering how many people have had a chance to build an application in Silverlight 2.0 and if anybody has any public examples of it.  It is mainly for my own curiousity.  I, Along with Faisal Khan,  just recently upgraded the Community Champions app at Ineta.org using Silverlight 2.0 and it solved a number of problems pretty nicely, IMHO.  Nothing super fancy, really, but nice improvement to the prior functionality.  You will also see Silverlight 2.0 coming to Community Credit in the next month. Big Smile

So, what are other folks up to in Silverlight these days?

Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

Follow me on Twitter: @HeadGeek
    Filed under:
  • Sun, Nov 2 2008 7:36 AM In reply to

• CraigNicholson
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Apr 20 2007
    • Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
    • Posts 28
      MVP

Re: So, who is using Silverlight 2.0?

We've just finished a new major version of our vehicle tracking and logistics application build in Silverlight 2 and on the Microsoft stack (WCF 3.5, ASP.NET 3.5, SQL 2005, SSRS, etc.) and I'll be doing some articles soon on my blog to share with the community some of the challenges we faced and the benefits we found in switching from ASP.NET & Flash to ASP.NET and Silverlight.
  • Sun, Nov 2 2008 7:59 AM In reply to

Wow, that is very cool.  Yeah, post on this thread once te articles come out, I would love to read about it.

Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

• Sun, Nov 2 2008 9:28 PM In reply to

• svickn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 2 2008
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 71

I haven't had the opportunity to use Silverlight on any level yet, but I'm eager to see how the enhancements hit Community Credit. Any major changes you willing to talk about?

• Mon, Nov 3 2008 5:31 AM In reply to

There will be a few areas.  One of them will be in the point submission section.  One of the really nice things that Silverlight will offer us is a cleaner way to enter submissions.  Although AJAX offers ways to avoid postbacks, it pales in comparison to a Silverlight interface. 

Another important aspect is in the display of your portfolio. I am aiming for a very impressive way to show off your contributions so that you can have a very cool page to show off to people displaying all of your contributions to the development community.  There is also an alternate, rather unique, display of your contributions that I have planned, but I will leave that as a surprise.

Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

• Mon, Nov 3 2008 8:37 AM In reply to

• svickn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 2 2008
    • Baton Rouge, LA
    • Posts 71

Sounds like some cool stuff. I know personally I've had some issues when submitting. I've had to use the site links to browse back to the submit page every time instead of reusing the form.

I only touched WPF and XAML very very briefly, I need to give it a little more of a chance. I remember Zain (the MSDN Evangelist for TX LA AR MS) did a XAML example where he put a text box as the text for a button... crazy stuff. I did try the demo with other controls when I got the chance, but my dropdown button did not work quite as well ;)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)