My Sql Server DIED - Community Credit Forums
in

Community Credit Forums

My Sql Server DIED

Last post Fri, Jan 11 2008 3:37 AM by HemantgiriGoswami. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 3 2008 5:44 PM

• MarlonGrech
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • Victoria, Malta
    • Posts 8

My Sql Server DIED

Hello guys,

Today I tried to start the Sql Server service on my machine so that I can continue working on some database yet Sql Server decided to not start any more... This is the error I got from Event Log

"The log scan number (203:152:1) passed to log scan in database 'master' is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup."

any ideas on what could be the cause?

I am going to just re install Sql Server to be on the safe side....(well safe side, that's my only option so...)

Regards
  • Thu, Jan 3 2008 7:31 PM In reply to

Re: My Sql Server DIED

Marlon,

That is the best thing at this point.  Just copy your other databases and reattach them when you bring the new server back up.

I've never seen this before.  Do you remember what you or the server was doing when your master go fouled up?

I always set up maintenance plans for all my databases, even on test systems.  May want to consider doing this also.

Cheers,

Karl

Cheers,

Karl

Code Project MVP, Karl's Blog : Get Mole v4 Here also!

Just a grain of sand on the worlds beaches.
  • Fri, Jan 4 2008 12:23 AM In reply to

As Karl said you can copy Master database from another server (master.mdf and mastlog.ldf) or you can get the master template from Installation package. Anyway, be careful when you do this. Coz, it may lead to occur some errors on tempdb database.

My Logo
  • Fri, Jan 4 2008 7:44 AM In reply to

Marlon & Chandana,

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post.

Marlon, I would not recommend copying the Master.mdf file from another server.  This will be a disaster.

I would copy your databases (not the system databases) to another directory and after the reinstall, copy them back to the desired data directory and reattach them.

Again, setting up a maintenance plan to back up your system and user databases is the best plan.

Cheers,

Karl

• Fri, Jan 4 2008 11:48 AM In reply to

• MarlonGrech
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 22 2007
    • Victoria, Malta
    • Posts 8

hello guys,

thanks for the help... i will re install and let you know how it all ends :)

Thanks for the help

Smile
  • Fri, Jan 4 2008 1:04 PM In reply to

Marlon,

Master file corruption is very uncommon.  I've never even heard of this before. 

You may want to keep your SQL Error logs along with the System & Application logs and see if you can piece together what happened.

Cheers,

Karl

• Fri, Jan 4 2008 9:42 PM In reply to

• LouVega
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 14 2006
    • South Carolina, United States
    • Posts 818
      MVP

For future reference - bookmark this Microsoft KB Article as it may shed some light on what's going on

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940126

Hope that helps!

• Fri, Jan 11 2008 3:37 AM In reply to

YOu may also try re-building you Master database
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)