No VB.NET fans out there? - Community Credit Forums
in

Community Credit Forums

No VB.NET fans out there?

Last post Tue, Jan 23 2007 3:03 PM by Rizwan Khan. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 20 2006 7:59 PM

• LouVega
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 14 2006
    • South Carolina, United States
    • Posts 818
      MVP

No VB.NET fans out there?

Am I the only one? Or are the rest of you in hiding? Big Smile
  • Thu, Dec 21 2006 11:39 AM In reply to

Re: No VB.NET fans out there?

I am a big VB.NET fan.  2.0 has gotten better, but through 1.1, VB definitely had a nice IDE for VB than it did for C#.  My preference for VB might be a result of my background in VB and ASP before jumping to .NET.  Still, I prefer VB to C# and will always choose VB over C# if the decision is mine. Now, for a related question....Did you sign the VB6 petition?
    Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

Follow me on Twitter: @HeadGeek
  • Thu, Dec 21 2006 9:55 PM In reply to

• LouVega
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 14 2006
    • South Carolina, United States
    • Posts 818
      MVP

Do I lose points for not signing? ;)

Actually I did not sign it. I remember it being around back when I was initially torn away from VB6 (I started out with VB4)...I say "torn" because I really liked VB6 and was comfortable with it, but when I got picked up for a new gig they said to me "No more VB6, everything will be done in .NET" and I struggled at first but then went with it and never looked back.

I can certainly understand wanting Microsoft to continue supporting it, but I can also understand Microsoft's side of the topic as well.

• Fri, Dec 22 2006 2:42 AM In reply to

No, in fact, there is a Community-Credit T-shirt out there that says "I did not sign the VB6 petition" :)  You can see one side of it here  The Community Credit logo and expression are in the back.

I was actually pulled, kicking and screaming, into a C# project a while back.  It took me about a week to stop my constant complaining about how much I hated C# and how VB is so much better.  After that, I got accustomed to it and I even started thinking in terms of C# first on occassion.  I am happy that I was forced to learn it and I am equally as comfortable now in C#.  I still prefer VB, though.

It kind of reminds me of VBScript vs. Javascript.  I have a number of functions and code that I have written back in my pre .NET days.  I used to do a lot with Data Islands and client-side IE-specific apps for companies.  I initially did everything in VBScript, but after so many cases of having bugs that were very painful to track down, I ended up re-writing a lot of it in JavaScript because it has try/catch in it.  My preference in Client-side scripting is still VBScript, but now I resist.

Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

• Mon, Jan 22 2007 4:14 PM In reply to

• MarcoMinerva
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 1 2007
    • Taggia (IM), , Italy
    • Posts 57

Hi all!

I have been using Visual Basic since 1996, and in the 2001 I begun to work with VB .NET. Basic has been my first programming language, so I'm a VB .NET fun; unfortunately for work now I must use C#, but I don't forget my VB past experience :-)

Marco Minerva, marco.minerva@gmail.com
    http://blogs.ugidotnet.org/marcom
  • Mon, Jan 22 2007 7:14 PM In reply to

Hey Marco, I completely understand.  I think that it is good that we are forced to use languages that we would not normally choose (within reason, of course Big Smile ).  It expands our programming horizons a bit in a way.  If not, we would all stick with the first language that we started with and think that "[FILL IN LANGUAGE OF CHOICE] was the best language ever!".  Instead, we are forced to work with languages we would not normally work with and see the pros and cons of them.  So, now you can know the reasons why to hate C# instead of just blindly hating it. Big Smile (Just Kidding) Also, when it comes to that next contract, it might be in C# and pay twice what you are currently earning.  If you have never worked with it, you would have no chance.  For many reasons, it is good to be literate in many different langues, even if you end up only really using one for the majority of your work.
    Kindest regards,
      David Silverlight

Filed under: ,
  • Tue, Jan 23 2007 3:03 PM In reply to

• Rizwan Khan
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 23 2007
    • Newcastle upon tyne, United Kingdom
    • Posts 27

Well Guys,

I had the same problem. I started my first job in VB 6. Then I switched to web and had to learn Asp because of the projects. Afterwards I left the programming world despite having a degree.
    New job again push me into .net arena although i'm still learning. Started first with Vb.net then my boss decided to switch over to C# and I had to learn a bit still haven't learn it fully though.......
    One thing which I experienced is that if you use Vb before and if you need to do rapid prototype then still VB.net is better then C#. 

Probably just my preference :)

Kind Regards,

Rizwan
    my blog
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)